Organized within the project Digitization, bibliographic description and research of texts written in Glagolitic, Croatian Cyrillic and Latin scripts until the end of 19th century in Zadar and Šibenik area
In accordance with current interdisciplinary trends in cataloguing, research and communication of cultural heritage in digital age, the interdisciplinary scientific project Digitization, bibliographic description and research of texts written on Glagolitic, Croatian Cyrillic and Latin scripts until the end of 19th century in Zadar and Šibenik area is being carried out at the University of Zadar by the Department of Information Sciences in co-operation with Vestigia Manuscript Research Centre of University of Graz, Austria. It is supported by the Ministry of Culture of Republic of Croatia, while the associates come from several departments of Zadar University as well as from Croatian and European institutions interested in different aspects of manuscripts and early printed books research, information sciences and digital humanities.
The goals of the project are: (1) digitization of old and rare books written on Glagolitic, Bosnian Cyrillic and Latin scripts, primarily manuscripts, connected with Zadar and Šibenik areas, in the libraries, archives and museums’ collections of religious and state institutions; (2) machine readable cataloguing based on existing printed catalogues, making of inventory lists, registration and inclusion of Croatian manuscript and early print, primarily Glagolitic, collections in Croatian and European portals of written heritage; (3) presentation of the most valuable Zadar written heritage to enable access to heritage and information on heritage to various groups of users (scientists, researchers, students, interested public, tourists, etc.) with the aim to derive further research of heritage and publishing of research and other data by implementing creative and innovative modes of presentation of heritage (portal, lectures, attendance at conferences and scientific festivals, publishing of scientific and other papers); (4) gathering scientists from various scientific fields, especially humanities, interested in research of Croatian written heritage in digital environment, to enable their research of written heritage, to research their needs and to create proper conditions for their research, to digitize the material of their interest, as well as to implement and develop tools for manuscript research in digital environment (tools for transliteration and transcription, tagging, etc.). This goal includes the research in the field of information sciences, by focusing on research of standardization of bibliographic description of manuscripts and early prints and their digitization, and in the fields of digital humanities and humanities user needs.
Still another goal of this project is to create abases for cross-institutional interdisciplinary centre for research of (Glagolitic) written heritage. As the project supports educational activities at several departments at University of Zadar it is designed in such a way as to involve students in each project phase and to enable conditions for laboratory and field education.
In the course of the first project year, 2016, goals and expected outcomes of the project were defined, associates, as well as associate institutions were gathered, working groups were established together with the description of their tasks, specification for web portal was made, corpus of documents for digitization was defined and test digitization was performed.
In order to inform the public with the project, including its achievement and plans for future activities, we decided to organize this one day Symposium. We plan to gather associates on the project, representatives of associate institutions and other interested scientists from the University of Zadar and beyond, doctoral and master students, information professionals and representatives of heritage institutions, as well as all interested in research, cataloguing, digitization and promotion of Zadar written heritage, especially Glagolitic manuscript heritage.
Communication of the heritage is an important part of a project, respectively presenting heritage in a contemporary creative and innovative manner to various groups of users, using information technology, web portal, virtual exhibitions, presentations, mapping locations on touristic and other geographic maps as well as in the wider touristic offer.
Assuming that the University of Zadar brings together scientists from various fields of science whose expertise can largely contribute to interdisciplinary project activities, we find important to discuss during this symposium creative potentials of written heritage, to attract attention to rich Croatian cultural heritage, and contribute to its better. As different aspects of presentation activities of written heritage (selection of a corpora, modes of digitization, modes of presentation on web portals) seek different preconditions (IT infrastructure, quality of images, etc.), creative potential of written heritage and its usability as well as other aspects of the project will be presented and discussed at the Symposium, as well as during the open project meeting.
8:45 Welcome speech and opening of the Symposium
9:00 – 11:30
- Assistant Professor Marijana Tomić, PhD, Department of Information Sciences, University of Zadar, Croatia. Presentation of the project Digitization, bibliographic description and research of texts written on Glagolitic, Croatian Cyrillic and Latin scripts until the end of 19th century in Zadar and Šibenik area [9-9:20]
- Professor Erich Renhart, VESTIGIA Manuscript Research Center, University of Graz, Austria. The Vestigia (lat. »traces«) – Manuscript Research Centre of Graz University: Experiences and Results after Ten Years [9:30-10:15]
- Associate Professor Regina Varnienė-Janssen, PhD, Faculty of Communication, Institute of Library and Information Sciences, Vilnius University, Lithuania. Methodological and Technological Solutions for Digitization, Long-Term Preservation and Access of the Lithuanian Cultural Heritage within the Virtual Electronic Heritage System. [10:30-11:15]
11:30 – 12:00 Coffee break
12:00 – 13:30
Creative, research and educational potentials of digitization of Glagolitic heritage, Part I
- Grozdana Franov-Živković, PhD, Croatian Academy of Science and Art, Zadar, Croatia. Assistant Professor Ivica Vigato, PhD, Department for Teacher and Pre-school Teacher Education Unversity of Zadar, University of Zadar, Croatia. Glagolitic sources in the research of daily life of the population of Zadar area
- Associate Professor Kristijan Juran, PhD, Department of History, University of Zadar, Croatia. Glagolitic monuments in Šibenik area
- Ivona Despot, PhD Candidate, Department of Information Sciences, University of Zadar, Croatia, Ana Pojatina, Ram, Zagreb, Croatia. Web portal Written heritage, content visualization, augmented reality and other creative modes of communication of written heritage
- Associate Professor Nives Tomašević, PhD, Department of Information Sciences, University of Zadar, Croatia. Instantiation of digitized heritage content in the medium of printed book
13:30 – 14:30 Lunch break
14:30 – 16:30
Creative, research and educational potentials of digitization of Glagolitic heritage, Part II
- Kristijan Crnković. ArhivPRO, d.o.o., Koprivnica, Croatia. Indigo platform: digital repository, long term preservation and presentation of digitized heritage
- Nikolina Peša Pavlović, research assistant, Department of Information Sciences, University of Zadar, Croatia. The importance of digital photography in the basic technical preparation for the project of digitization of written heritage
- Ante Gverić, PhD, Zadar State Archive, Zadar, Croatia. Cooperation of archives and academic community in digitization, promotion and research of written heritage
- Vlatka Lemić, PhD, Croatian State archives, Zagreb, Croatia. International and Croatian cooperation and projects in the field of archival science: ICARUS, co:op
and other actualities
- Assistant Professor Marijana Tomić, PhD, Department of Information Sciences, University of Zadar, Croatia. Projects of digitization of cultural heritage as a support to scientific research and teaching activities at University of Zadar
16:30 Coffee and discussion of Symposium results and on further project activities:
- Open project meeting
Head of the project and of the Symposium:
Associate Professor Marijana Tomić, PhD
Grozdana Franov-Živković, PhD
Associate Professor Kristijan Juran, PhD
Full Professor Erich Renhart, PhD
Associate Professor Nives Tomašević, PhD
Assistant Professor Marijana Tomić, PhD
Assistant Professor Ivica Vigato, PhD
Full Professor Mirna Willer, PhD
Assistant Professor Marijana Tomić, PhD
Nikolina Peša Pavlović, research assistant